Sunday, April 1, 2007

The Adventures of SuperDad - Volume I


There is a phenomenon out there that I call SuperDads. You see them at the mall, at the grocery store, etc. You can spot a SuperDad because he will be carrying an infant, usually a sleeping peaceful infant, while the mother trails a step or two behind... pushing the stroller, the grocery cart or holding shopping bags, diaper bags and sometimes even SuperDad's jacket.

Justin was the King of SuperDads when Jude was first born. I remember being in Ikea one day, we had just purchased something large and cumbersome and Justin was strolling along with the adorable baby, while Mummy stumbled along behind them, trying to juggle our purchases and the diaper bag and probably a couple of Ikea hotdogs, listening to young 20something women gush over how cute the baby was.


Yesterday, SuperDad returned with a vengeance. We were at Loblaws doing our weekly shop and Justin had the kids in one cart (the cart that has the car on the end of it) and I had the majority of the groceries in the other. I was trying to pick out the freshest looking grapes when Justin came up behind me. And then a pretty blond woman came along.


"I usually don't do this," she started, "But I just wanted to tell you how great it is that..." And then she noticed me. And the fact that I was staring intently at her, waiting to see where she was going with this. "Oh! You're here too!" she exclaimed and I briefly wondered if we knew her. She went on, "I was just telling your husband that my children are 16 months apart and my husband refused to take them both grocery shopping. I was just telling him that I think it's great that he's got both kids with him."


I looked at Justin, he was still staring at the woman like she was a bit loony, and then back at the lady again. She was still babbling about her husband taking one or the other, not both grocery shopping. I got the feeling that she was afraid I thought she was trying to pick Justin up.


And all weekend, Justin has been saying that I'd better be nice to him. Cause there are lots of women out there that find babies very slimming.

No comments: