Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hate to Say Goodbye

My mum came out to visit us yesterday and spent the night.
She left this afternoon, and as she was walking out the door, I begged Jude to say goodbye to her. He was kinda "meh" about her leaving and was more interested in taking bottles of water out of the case and distributing them in the diaper bag, on the stairs, in the kitchen etc.

Now, to back track a bit, we have a habit of telling Jude to say goodbye to people too soon, so he is very cute and hands out hugs and kisses and the very people he has just said goodbye to end up sticking around for 10 or 15 minutes longer. Jude has caught on to this and is suspicous of people when they say they are leaving. You can almost see him mentally rolling his eyes when my mum (the worst offender) says she is leaving; "Yeah right," he thinks, "I'll believe it when I see your car getting smaller and smaller as you drive away."

Back to this afternoon.

I stood at the door waving to my mum and saying to Jude, "No foolin' Jude, she's really leaving. Come say bye-bye!"

Jude finally looked out the door and saw that she was, in fact, leaving and all of a sudden he turned into Judge Reinhold's character in the episode of Seinfeld where he thinks he could have done more for the senior Seinfelds. Jude was holding a bottle of water and he ran to the front door and started blowing kisses and yelling "Bye!" and waving his bottle of water in the air and it was almost as if he was concerned that she needed a bottle of water for the long trip home.
Of course, Nan was already in the car when all this was going on and by the time she could've looked up and noticed what Jude was doing, he had gotten bored with it all and closed the door. I don't want to say that he slammed the door shut, but it was awfully forceful.
And as I type this, I know there are a few people who are probably nodding along saying to themselves that yes, Jude can be somewhat abrupt when saying goodbye.

1 comment:

Great Aunt Mary said...

Lsst Tuesday night Jude closed the door so fast on me when I was leaving he just about caught my coat. He does not prolong his farewells!